The ELENA network extends across most European states and involves some 500 lawyers and legal counsellors. The network is coordinated by the Secretariat of the European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE) in Brussels in close consultation with the ELENA National Coordinators from 36 European countries. National coordinators of the network include legal practitioners, legal academics and legal officers in ECRE member organisations.
- reinforce contact between legal practitioners in different European countries to promote cooperation on individual and strategic cases in the area of asylum;
- facilitate the exchange of information and experience between legal practitioners across Europe in order to address challenges faced by refugees and those in need of international protection;
- analyse the implementation of national, European and international law relating to refugees in Europe;
- organise training on specific topics relating to refugee law for practising lawyers;
- promote the development of national networks of legal practitioners specialising in asylum law.